Thursday, October 12, 2006

i'm going!

lovely, lovely people...

(i'm starting to sound like bolder - i ask you, is this a bad thing?)

i'm a pirate and i'll be flying! i have booked my flight to phoenix, and i shall be there with bells on.

i'm looking for a cowbell as we speak. YARRR~

seriously - i'm going to SOMA folks! I can't believe i'm so excited to go and volunteer for a race i won't be running - but i am. i'm excited to go and feel the energy, watch you and cheer you on.

if you're nice, i may even fetch things for you, i know how you get on race day.

i'll be seeking a volunteer job, and i'm going to ask that they let me do bodymarking. this way, i'll get to feel lots of you muscley people up and i don't have to risk further breakage of limbs. Does it get any better than that?

i'll be the one with the pirate running cap on - come find me.

in other news, i am back to running. my arms may be broken but my legs, they are most definitely not. i did a little bit on the treadmill last night and it hurt. mostly i notice that after 2 weeks of crash vacation, my heart rate isn't as well behaved as it used to be. and my knees, which have never bothered me before, suddenly complained. i was worried.

today i joined my fellow victims (the ones you, my friends, will be racing against at SOMA) for a brick. Except i didn't bring my bike, i only ran.

i'm pleased to report that i put some miles down. it was hard, i was slow but i did it, and i don't hurt.

relief.

gratitude.

joy.

e-mail me if you my phone number...

SEE YOU IN TEMPE!

6 comments:

Bolder said...

wow! another volunteer!!

i'm feeling so guilty about never having volunteered...

well, since i just gave Laurie great advice about how to work an aid station, i'll give you similar advice on how to body mark.

1) you don't want to disappoint your markees, like finishing the swim and race officials and loved ones not being able to read their number... so, write their number on their forehead, remember to press hard, and immediately ask them for their swimcap, and cover that number up.
2) stand on their foot when bodymarking, too many triathletes walk away before ALL the bodymarks are completed. it's for their own good.
3) regardless of gender, after you are done body marking, remove your pirate boot from their foot, and give them a quick smack on the ass and say 'Arrrrgh, have a great race!'... and, show them your broken wing and say 'I got this in me last triathlon, ARRRRGHHHHHH!'

all triathletes greatly appreciate this type of body marking experience...

no need to thank me, i'm here to help.

S. Baboo said...

It's gonna be great to see you there! Misty and I have Cow bells. We got them as finishers "medals" at a tri we did in Bend, OR.

Here's another body marking tip...whatever you do scrawl the number somewhere you would never expect to find real bodymarking.

I did a tri in Flagstaff and this chick scrawled my number down my shin. I was pissed but it made me go really fast because I was also humiliated...I just wanted to get the hell off the course and get back to the hotel to scrub it off.

bon said...

Hey, good on ya Pirate! Glad to see this really ISN'T getting you down. I really super-appreciated your comment on my last post... I hadn't realized how very much you "get" it... I did need the experience of walking away instead of rescue. 'Course it's too bad because you really COULD have kicked his ass and it woulda been funny to see him get spanked by a chick.

Anonymous said...

What's a pirate's favorite volunteer duty at a triathlon? Why body m-ARRRRRRR-king, of course! Hee hee.

I'm all sorts of envious, ya know. It would be a blast to be there and watch the Nytro v. Greyhound throw-down challenge.

Good to read that you're back on the road running. Don't fret, the fitness and normal heart rate comes back quickly after a respite.

Stay tuned...

Papa Tweet said...

will you please mark on greyhounds neck:

I only doggy paddle.


That is all. Look forward to seeing you in SOMA!

Anonymous said...

crap... that was from me.... i ALWAYS forget to check the identity.