...and while I'm watching all my blog people do IM-Moo (y'all are looking great!), I'll rattle on about me (you know, for posterity).
I did my first actual stand-alone timed half marathon today. Me and my beloved. And then my kiddos ran a whole 1K.
OK, so technically I did a half when I did the Buffalo Springs Half Iron, but I've never had an opportunity to run as fast as I can for 13.1 miles for a t-shirt. And a finisher's medal. With no swim breaks or bike breaks.
The Chips N Salsa race features a 5K, a 10K, a half-Marathon and a Kid's K, so there were a ton of people out today. I love family races. Plus, Hello - they provided childcare! That meant we could all run! This is a big deal in my house - usually we have to do a lot of juggling where races are concerned. Lately the kids are pretty psyched about their kid runs, so they are easy to convince.
This race is pretty popular amongst the locals. Though there are a lot of fast locals, I don't guess they're all from around here. There are a lot of elite runners who turn up at this race, and some Kenyans, and some Koreans.
The finishing times start at about 1:06 and go up from there.
I saw the leader (it was an out and back course, he passed me going the other way when I was at about mile 4 or 5). Yeah, he was fast. The fastest females weren' t far behind - 1:09 was overall female winner today.
The running community is relatively tight-knit, so I do see some of these people training at my training grounds, and they are amazing to watch. Today was an perfect day for the race - nice and overcast, early start, temps in the mid-60's, not too humid.
The course was mostly flat, pretty fast. I had trouble believing it was going to be fast, I bike the course pretty frequently (in fact I rode it yesterday), and there are a few hills. I was surprised how fast they went away under my feet. I was actually dreading it. It's a long, straight road.
Anyway.
I wasn't sure how it would go - I had a bike ride yesterday, ran La Luz road on Thursday, I had a nicely mixed week. We signed up for the race at the last minute, and I was going to treat it like a long training run.
This was the first time I've used a gel flask (WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! HOW COME NOBODY TOLD ME???). Gel flask fits perfectly in the leg pocket of my Gymgirl Skirt. I barely knew it was there.
So off I went.
I was kind of surprised to find that I felt so good for the first few miles. It seems like I've had a lot of crappy runs lately - brick runs where I'm tired to start with, or long runs when I had a superlong bike ride the day before. By contrast, today's run felt great!
Dangit, why do I always have to go potty on the run? I mean, I'm good before, I usually drop a lot of ballast prior to the start - but seriously. Every. Time. I need to make a stop. I lost 2 minutes at mile 3 at the potty (fortunately, the only stop en route).
My coach's (excellent) advice was to pick it up after the turnaround if I felt good.
And I did. So I did. It wasn't much of a pickup, but I did a negative split in the end of about a minute. Not too bad.
I was doing mostly pretty good, keeping my pace as steady as I could. I tried to pick it up in the last 3 miles because I wanted to get as close to 2hrs as possible.
The wheels started to come off at mile 12. I was really pushing hard. I started to get tunnel vision.
Right before the finish, the terrain abruptly changed from paved road to gravel and dirt road. It was a very mean trick. I couldn't really control my feet, I kinda lost it in the last bit.
I came in at 2:08:18, and it was my best for the day. I couldn't speak for awhile.
All my friends did really well, a few fellow Outlaws also came to run: Mighty and Sluggo pulled in PRs for the day at 1:38 and 1:44. My beloved 8-ball is very very pleased with his 1:32. Go-go showed us truly how it's done with a 1:28 - a 2 minute PR for her.
My friends are awesome.
I have been so tired for the rest of the day, we've spent the day flaked out (much like the new puss). I've had two naps and 1.5 dinners. I felt the same as after I finished my first triathlon - like I'd been hit by a truck.
So yeah - I think I left it out on the course. Can't be unhappy with that.
(brain not working. will log off now)
Sunday, September 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

22 comments:
i think you should be the first to bring the whisky flask to sport. be edgy. be cool. whip out the silver flask.
Great report. I have my first 1/2 this weekend in Philly. I would love to have your finish time (I am trying for 2:10:00.
Congratulations on the Race! Sounds like you left it all on the course, Good for you!!
GREAT RACE! I may have seen you during the race. Do you remember passing someone who was sweating like ten whole men (me) after the turnaround? Someone in a Gymgirl skirt passed me and I said "good job" in a weak, gasping-for-air voice, and she said, "no, good job to you!" There were a handful of running skirts out there, but if it was you, thanks for the encouragement, and you looked strong! Even if it wasn't you, I know you looked strong too with a negative split.
katy - gel prolly doesn't taste good in the whisky flask, no?
dan - with a good taper, you'll be amazed what you can pull out of the hat on race day. I think you'll do great!
cindy I remember that - that was me! Nice to meet you!
That's an awesome time! Well done!
I can't seem to use a gel flask without spilling sticky gel all over myself. Nasty stuff when it's on your arms and legs.
Cool, that's a great time!
And did you say, "flask"? I know, for GEL, but still . . . I wonder if anyone's ever worked out the effect of a couple of shots of Don Julio on one's half marathon time. I'm just sayin' . . .
ah HIT BY A TRUCK...that describes the feeling perfectly. All day today I found myself saying "ouch..ouch...ouch...ouch"
Good job! Way to leave it out there on the course!
Congrats on your super 1/2 mary!
I am looking at running skirts...can an almost 54 year old wear a running skirt?
Sounds fun. I love chips and salsa.
Child care at the race?? you folks really know how to do a race up right in your neck of the woods!
I am hoping mostly to be sub-3 9yeah you read it right) for my first half this coming weekend. I truly hope that is not too ambitious.......(can you sense the time envy??)
Wow. Super run time envy from me. That is great. I have my first half this weekend as well (I'm doing a duathlon on Sunday too) so I am not going to bust a leg or anything but you did awesome. So did you husband. That time is crazy fast.
Congratulations! 2:08 is an excellent first 1/2 Mary time. Way to go, Pirate!
ps - your name was dropped repeatedly in WI. Did you feel the love?
munch on, you earned those chips and salsa!
excellent race :)
Negative splits are good, but I've never heard of negative spliting the porta johns.
Great run!
Schwing! Way to rock some Pirate bootay.
Nice time, Pirate. Sounds like you pushed it well, giving all you had, even up to the end. Congrats. That' quite a sustained effort. I have yet to run a half, without having other sports involved. Nice race!
Hey, awesome time, congratulations! If I ever get to where I can maintain that pace for even a 5K, I'll be a happy camper!
Congrats on the awsome race! Glad to see you were able to race with a few Outlaws. I too truely love our fellow Outlaws. I love to race, but hate the brain function afterwards, or lack there of! Look foreward to seeing you at our next race together.
Red or Green?
Oh how I need to start running again!!
well earned chips and salsa ..... the sub 2 mary is knocking on the door
I'm still catchin' up on my blog reading ... so my congratulations are belated, but sincere!
Post a Comment