If you haven't already, go over to RaceAthlete and vote for me in the Top 10 Sports and Endurance Blogs of 2007. Go ahead, I'll wait.
Are you back?
Did you vote for me?
Eeexcellent!
When I started running, I was consumed with the joy of it and I loved to talk about it. This was how I discovered that running scares the pee out of people who don't run. It seemed like I was surrounded by people who said "running? that's crazy" or "good for you, I can't run because of [insert X, Y, or Z lame/semi lame excuse]."
Everybody has an excuse. Or a story. Or a reason they can't.
They can't, but I can. What they don't realize is that I'm really no different from them.
So I made up some running rules. I decided to describe some of the ground rules I've come across in my journey of running. I don't have to explain why I love to run, but for people who really are interested and don't know where to start, I thought it might be good to memorialize the rules that have worked for me. Plus, I need to be reminded occasionally of stuff I have learned along the way.
For alliterative purposes, I call them "Rackham's Rules of Running" (Good, huh?! I came up with that myself). It's a work in progress - I add, I revise, I refine.
Tonight I share.
Remember: these rules are totally based on my own personal experience - I'm not a professional, and I don't play one on TV.
Rackham's Rules of Running
1) The first and last miles always suck. The first one sucks way more than the last one. Your last mile is always faster.
2) If you keep running you will get better and it gets funner. A lot funner. You will get high. This is a good thing.
3) When you first start, don't run successive days in a row. Always take a day off between runs. If you get good and start running on successive days, don't do it all the time. Take a break.
4) Never increase your mileage more than 10% per week. Never ever. Or you will hurt yourself and then you will hate life because you can't run (See 2 above).
5a) Epsom salts really do help. Hot baths really do help. Epsom salts and hot baths don't work at all if you don't take them.
5b) Ice baths really do help. Ice baths are amazing. They make you swear when you climb in, but they take a whole day off your recovery time.
5c) If the air doesn't turn blue when you climb into an ice bath, you haven't put enough ice into it.
6) Hills suck, and then they don't. They're hard at first, and then they're easier. Hills will make you a stronger runner, but don't do them more than once a week.
7) Uphill running is funner and easier on your body than downhill running. It's also way harder.
8) There's always somebody else out there who is faster than you.
9) Cross training: do it. If you run, it means you can kick butt in other sports you like. Running is like base training for all the other stuff.
10) Only do races where there is an interesting course, a good cause or a cool t-shirt. Any one of these three reasons will do. If the race doesn't fulfill one of these three criteria, save your entry fee money.
11) All races may be treated as catered training days - see rule 8 above.
12) Ice, heat and rest are your injury's best friends.
13a) Just because your training buddy doesn't stretch doesn't mean you need to jump off a cliff too. Stretch everything, stretch it often. Hold your stretch for AT LEAST 30 SECONDS before you let go.
13b) Stretch at night before bed.
14) Foam roller - learn it, love it. Foam roller will save your ass.
15) Not running sucks more than running. See rule 2 above.
16) Go to a REAL running store and have them do a gait analysis to get you in a proper pair of shoes. It is no more expensive than a regular store, but you get advice from real runners. The wrong shoes will cause you problems -- maybe not right away, probably right about the time you get into your groove with 2).
17) You need new running shoes more often than you think. Get new shoes every 3 to 6 months.
18a) People who say "running is bad for their joints" probably don't like running. Running is not necessarily bad for your joints. The actual research says that runners (the sensible ones) have really good joints.
18b) Every body is different - don't base your own experience on what happened to someone you know, or what somebody said. Don't listen to people who tell you "so and so said he broke his knee when he ran, so I should never run because that will happen to me." You don't live in so-and-so's body. Learn from YOUR body.
19) You don't have to be a 5 minute miler to be a runner. I know people who post 11 and 12 minute miles who are runners. I know 13ers who are runners. Don't get hung up on speed, see
8) above.
20) Running is not necessarily bad for your knees. Overtraining is bad, poor form is bad, injury is bad. Old shoes are bad. See 17) and 18) above.
21) Jeff Galloway is a God. www.runinjuryfree.com/
22) You don't have to be 18 to run. I know runners who didn't start 'til they were in their 50's. Don't let your age stop you.
23) There is no substitute for professional advice. Get it when you need it. See 18) above.
24) When you seek professional advice, don't ask a non-runner. Non-runners believe that all running is bad. Runners will give you more balanced advice.
25) There's pain and then there's pain. It takes a really long time to figure out which one you need to pay attention to. See 3) and 4) above.
26) When you pay someone for their advice you should take it.
27) Nothing feels better than accomplishing a goal, no matter how small.

22 comments:
That is a very cool list and terrific rules to live/run by. I'll think I'll pull out the box of epson salts after my next long run.
Great list.
#17 is SO true.
Unfortunately, how many people do we see in "down at the heel" shoes. Even if you can't see the wear and tear--follow Pirate's advice, and get new shoes.
Yea-#1-#23-all true. I am finally after 10 years beginning to like running. I never understood people who did before..
Nonrunning doctors are the worst. All they ever say is, "well stop running." What? so I can be fat and have high cholesterol like all your other patients?" No thanks.
Here's a rule of mine that I totally copied from an interview I read with Deena Kastor: Never judge your run when you're going up hill.
Now there's a darn fine list. You must have slept at a Holiday Inn last night.
Personally I do prefer the downhills - much more fun and a little out of control. But that's just me.
Good list - that post is a public service!
I also have to add my own requirements:
1. sunglasses
2. ipod
3. chew gum. (if I don't chew gum, my mouth tastes gross and gets all dry. can't. stand. it. plus, it distracts me just enough from the fact that I am running.)
LOVE this post! I remember think that you were a crayzee tough broad... but there was no way I could run. I was too fat and it was too hard on my knees.
HA!
I am a runner. Sure I have caveats to that statement... and yet, I am a runner.
Lucky me, my doctor runs!
very nice, pirate!! written from a true runner's perspective!
the only thing i'd add is that bodyglide is our friend...
:-)
Great list...thanks for sharing it!
I just started running hills yesterday, and OMG, it was so hard! I walked the downhills though cuz I'm so worried about getting a knee injury. My downhill running form seems to be "barrelling down the hill."
Excellent list! So comprehensive.
The one thing I would add is "If you are not getting a runner's high pick up the pace a little bit but not enough to get injured (see whatever rules apply above)
I'm too lazy to look up the rules that apply.
Well done! And yes - I voted for you.
Wow! Thanks especially for the link in 18(a). I often worry that my insurance company is going to drop me if I have to have another MRI or Xray. It's good to know that research shows that even with sports-related injuries, runners still on average rack up less in medical expenses than non-runners.
Awesome post. It's bizarre, the weird mixture of awe, fear, and sometimes anger with which non runners regard the sport. When, really, how much more simple, more perfect, can anything get than putting one foot in front of the other and motoring along?
Too many rules...but rules are meant to break! :-P
Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.
How about...Rule N: How you feel in the first 900 feet is not anywhere near how you'll feel 5, 10, or 20 miles from now.
sure, i voted for you. but usually i only vote for people on command if they offer me a good romp in the hay. consider yourself spared.
now how do you get into the ice bath without freezing your vajayjay? can i put a warm pack in my swimsuit to keep my pink bits from turning blue?
#15. So true...
your rules rock, rackham! re #16 wish we had running stores in the philippines ~ it would have saved me a lot of trouble!
Outstanding advise!
Wow, great list - yours is a lot longer than mine. My juju thing onlyhas 5 items. I'll post it soon.
I have some sort of addition to #8 or maybe it is 8A (for slowpokes like myself).
There is probably someone slower than you. But even if there isn't, you beat all the people who didn't bother to run today.
Post a Comment