Monday, May 29, 2006

trackwork

I have a small world where my sport is concerned, and it seems like all the triathletes are out there doing their track work. Some of them are probably doing it right now. What's wrong with you people, don't you sleep?

I did some trackwork on Saturday, here's what I did:

1 mile warm up
1 x 1600m (7'30")
2 x 800m (3'45", 3'50)
4 x 400m (1'50", 1'52", 1'53", 1'48")
1 x 400m Walk / V Slow Jog
1 mile cool down

For the un-initiated, that means I ran 5 miles in little pieces. The idea with track work is that you build speed in small increments. You don't just go out and run fast right away, you build speed gradually.

This is a relief to me, knowing that it is possible to train myself to be faster, because I know I can't do the kind of speed I'd like to right now!

Anyway. 7'30" for 1 mile was hard, mainly because I've taxed myself pretty hard all week. Plus that's like a personal record for me anyway, who knew I could do it (and keep it) after pushing so hard?!

Incidentally, is it just me, or is that last corner - the one in the picture - the hardest effing part of the whole track? Geez - I always feel my stomach just drop right onto the ground there, and my legs turn into lead.

Here's hoping I can bring it out on race day...or at least keep up with the rest of the crowd!

3 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hey, I'm looking for someone interested in practicing some open water swimming with me out at cochiti resevoir, maybe every other week during the day. Email me at mistypilgrim@qwest.net

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hey, what triathlon are you doing this weekend? Is it the milkman?

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

why yes, yes it is.