Thursday, October 18, 2007

does it always have to be like this?

I keep forgetting - is this what Mr. Taper is supposed to be like? There's a little over a week left to SoMa and I am...a little freaked out.

Yes, I think that would accurately describe my state of mind.

I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better.

Let me clarify - I think I have good reasons to be freaked out.

Trust me - these are good reasons...

1) The Leg that Won't Play Ball Waay back about 3 weeks ago (gosh, has it been that long?) I had a total leg failure during the Colorado Relay. I self-diagnosed ITBS - it hurt in the right places and felt better when I wore a counterforce (Patt) strap. This failure was, by my book, totally unprovoked - I had no increase in training volume or intensity leading up to it. The only thing I had to point fingers at was the shoes.

The shoes, it turns out, were a complete error on my part. I totally bought the wrong shoes! I need control shoes, not neutral - they were neutral. Oops!

The good folks at my local shop took the shoes back.

Yes. You heard me.

Took.
Them.
Back.

Even after I said I'd put at least 30 miles in them. Even after I said to them (out loud) "I screwed up, I bought the wrong shoes."

(Of course they were so nice, I HAD to buy a new top, since I didn't have to pay for a new pair of shoes. If you saw the top you'd understand.)

So I've been good to my leg - massaging it regularly with precious oils and a big foam roller, reducing volume, clothing it with jewels and a patt strap and new shoes. Gently giving it some new exercises to contemplate - some butt blasters, some hamstring bridges.

For a while, the knee seems to be getting better, while the hip started to absolutely ache. The hip thing is weird, and most definitely related to the knee (well, they are connected, after all). The hip thing has been on and off over a long time, but it's never stopped me completely. And the weird part? The hip feels fine running - but hates sitting.

Last week I resorted to Voodoo. I turned my leg into a pincushion, I got acupuncture - with electricity. The acupuncture seemed to work so well I went back for more.

Then it stopped working.

So yesterday we resorted to hardcore voodoo - this involved the injection of homeopathic solutions into the trigger points in my hip (gluteus maximum, gluteus minimus, piriformis). So far so good - the injection points are a little sore, but they don't hurt like they did before, and this is lasting longer than just pincushion-and car-battery, so I'm going with it.

I don't know how long it will last, or if it will last through a half-iron. I go back for more tomorrow.

Prolotherapy has also been brought up. I'm not turning anything down.

2) Lack of volume due to #1. I've done some good rides on the bike, but my last long run was 9 miles up the Pino Trail, before the Colorado Relay. Since then the most I've done was 7. Last time I did the arithmetic (about 5 seconds ago) 7 miles isn't quite the same as 13.1.

The biggest brick I've done for this race was the 62 mile wind ride + 7 mi bike 2 weeks ago. That's not the same as 56 mile bike + 13.1 mi run.

Training for every other race, I've worked like a dog up to the last minute - but not this one. I've been training steady all summer, but it's been reduced since #1.

I don't know what to do with myself with "reduced" training. I go around cursing and swearing.

I'm really pretty unbearable with reduced volume and pissy leg.

3) My kids are sick. Every parent knows that when your kids are sick that means it's usually only a matter of time before it's you in the bed with the heavy drugs.

I can tell I'm getting it - I have the tickly throat, and I feel like partly digested dog crap.

On the plus side, that means I have a faint chance of getting over it before next weekend. On the down side, my already reduced volume may slow to nothing for me to properly recover.

As if I wasn't moody already.

4) My beloved has gone to New York City for the weekend, leaving me as a single mom to cope with two small sicklings, and my moody, undertrained, unwell, tapering self.

He's a smart guy.

***
Warning: if TMI is not your thing, you should probably stop reading now.
***


5) Of course I will get my period for this race. Of course I will. It seems to happen for EVERY. RACE.

And you know what? When I'm feeling fat and bloated and generally unattractive, there's nothing I love doing more than putting on my tightest spandex clothes and going outside to run and race in front of a few thousand strangers.

If I wasn't already moody - from reasons 1, 2, 3 and 4- this will surely put the nail into the coffin.

I warned you.

So. Even though I'm totally freaked out, I'm still willing to get on a plane and go over there and do it.

Why?

If I can come up with 5 freakouts, surely I can come up with at least 5 reasons to go...

1. I got to watch last year without playing - I really want to play this year.
2. In spite of the crap, I am hoping it'll be fun.
3. I'll get to see about 400 of my favourite people, half of whom I've never met.
4. I like a challenge.
5. Even a bad day racing will be more exciting than a good day watching TV.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane ~ I don't know everything there is to know about bodies, but have you tried a chiropractor? Your hip problem sounds like a pinched nerve someplace, because it hurts more to sit than to run. I had one of those once in Deming and I had to lie down in the back seat for a 60-mile trip to Las Cruces because I couldn't sit up that long. Just a thought ~ hope you're doing better soon. Vona

21stCenturyMom said...

Exactly! #5 reason for going, that is.


Like I said last night - not training can be a wonderful thing. Seriously

Anonymous said...

Your posts are great. Even when you're feeling yucky, you can find humor in it!

"When I'm feeling fat and bloated and generally unattractive, there's nothing I love doing more than putting on my tightest spandex clothes and going outside to run and race in front of a few thousand strangers."...cracked me up, and totally describes how I feel this week! You look great though!

I'm nowhere near your level of fitness or racing, but one year I did a half marathon with the least amount of training I've ever done. I was worried about finishing, and I PR'd! Sometimes, taking it easy is a good thing.

Hope all these things get better soon. I bet the race will be fun!

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

important distinction...*fully* digested dog crap feels very different. Veeeery different.

Feel better, peach. Kick some soma arse.

Brent Buckner said...

Reasons 2, 3, and 4 kinda come together to make reason 5.

Hope you feel better soon!

momo said...

reason #6... there's a whole lotta blogger meeting up you have to do!

and i always heard that on any given day you can run twice what you're normally running. so 7 x 2 = 14. you are SO there.

Laurie said...

We are in the same boat with the ITBS, even the same cause, a relay. My problem stems from my hip as well. I've been stretching and doing yoga to loosen it and that has been helping. It might help you to try that too.

I hope you have a good race despite all of your reasons!

Donald said...

Hang in there, you'll make it! Have a great race.

T said...

Jane, relax. My best half IM had a longest brick of only 34 and 4 miles at race effort. You do NOT have to do a half IM in training...This would only be destructive.

Unknown said...

Airborne is my best buddy when the kiddos are sick. I swear by it.
Crossing my fingers for you to feel better all around and kick some ass.
#5 always seems to strike me too, even if its not time yet. What's the deal with that??

Podium quest said...

I'm so sorrt about the injuries, the sick thing, no help & home. That sucks I've
read many many times that the majority of people go into endurance races
overtrained. I bet you'll go over there & smoke that race.

Anonymous said...

Boo ITBS! Boo germs!

But, go Pirate! You have a great attitude, better than I probably would. Do your best and have a blast!

moi said...

'kay, so would this be a good time to say something like: There are no challenges, only opportunities? No? Yes?

Then again, you said it best in reason #5.

And you have new shoes and a rockin' new top in which to have all that fun.

Kate said...

Maybe too late for the race, but have you seen your friendly physical therapist? (I am biased due to my extended time and overly high monetary committment to physical therapy school a few years ago.) Anyway, there are some modalities (ultrasound or iontophoresis) and stretches that she/he could give you to get back to yourself. Also, soft tissue mobs (aka massage!) may help.

Good luck and feel well for the upcoming event.

SWTrigal said...

Jane-
PLEASE call my chiropractor Michael Martino before Friday. he is a miracle worker-I mean it!
Debi:)

IronTRISH said...

My brother gave me that top for Christmas last year. I can't wait for it to get cold enough to wear it again this season.

Feel better and enjoy your race!

Di said...

you'll do great and have a wonderful time because you have a new top!! ...
just a thought...
;)
I hope you are feeling well for Soma.

bigmike600 said...

FYI my brother in law was having hip trouble for no reason and he went and found out his one leg is a wee bit longer than the other. Orthodics made the pain go bye bye. He never suspected his on leg was longer.

You'll kick ass at SOMA. Say hi anyone and everyone.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Something tells me that when you hit the starting line all of them thar numbers won't matter and you're going to do great.

Stay tuned...

Podium quest said...

Hey Dread, would u email me? I have a triathlon question & you are the person I
think is best equipped to answer it. O.C.Tri@comcast.net

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Do you have a foam roll? I am an ITBS novice. I struggled with it for 3 years & finally had surgery. The hip is absolutely related. I had 3 cortisone injectins in my hip. They always helped. I had my last one shortly after surgery and it's been great since. Whenever my ITbands start hurting I ice my hips & my knees and roll on the foam roll... Good luck!

Larissa said...

Taper. Sucks.

You will rock the race, regardless.

Take care of yourself, chica - and have a great race.

Old and Slow said...

i screwed up my itb with shoes a few weeks ago, too -- it's all mechanics so if your new shoes are the right shoes focus on making sure your mechanics are not out of whack from running in the neutral shoes.

have fun and have a great race